DSWD Travel Authorization for Filipino Minors (2023)

The following information is taken from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) website:http://www.dswd.gov.ph/faqs/travel-clearance-for-menors/

Due to the increasing incidence of child abductions, a Filipino minor, regardless of marital status, must obtain a travel authorization issued by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) if the child will be traveling outside the Philippines, either alone or with an adult other than a parent.


The only exemptions to the DSWD travel authorization are children under:

  • travel with either parent
  • travel with legal guardian
  • immigrants to another country and have a valid permanent resident card, dependent visa, or other pass issued by another country that proves residence with parents abroad. A minor who has a permanent resident card from another country, or a valid dependent pass (visa/pass/ID or permanent resident visa/pass/ID card is no longer required to secure DSWD travel authorization)
  • you are not a Filipino citizen and have a foreign passport

A minor who is a Filipino citizen living abroad but does not have a permanent resident visa or equivalent pass issued by another country must obtain a travel authorization.


The travel authorization application and its documentary requirements are submitted at any local DSWD office. The application form is available at all DSWD field offices and can be downloaded from the DSWD website www.dswd.gov.ph. Documentation requirements vary depending on whether the child is traveling alone or traveling with an adult other than the parent or legal guardian.

For minors traveling alone to a foreign country for the first time:

  1. Completed DSWD Travel Authorization Application Form
  2. Photocopy of the birth certificate or passport of the minor
  3. Written consent from both parents or the single parent or legal guardian allowing the minor to travel alone to a foreign country (parents residing in Germany can book an appointment at the Embassy to obtain a consularized affidavit granting permission for the minor to the least travel alone)
  4. Proof of the consenting parent's relationship to the child, in one of the following forms:
    • (married parents) a photocopy of the marriage certificate of the minor's parents
    • (legal guardian) a photocopy of the certificate of legal guardianship of the minor,
    • (single parent) a photocopy of single parent identification card from Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office, Local Social Welfare and Development Office, Tallaq or Faskh certification from Shariah court or any Muslim Barangay or religious leader
    • (if the child is illegitimate) a Certificate of Non-Marriage (CENOMAR) issued by the National Statistics Office (ONE)
    • (if parents are deceased) a photocopy of the death certificate
    • Two passport size color photographs of the minor taken within the last six (6) months

The DSWD caseworker may require additional documentary requirements during travel authorization application evaluation to ensure that no child is trafficked and that the best interest and welfare of the child is ensured.

For minors traveling for the first time with a person other than their parents or legal guardian:

  1. Completed DSWD Travel Authorization Application Form
  2. Photocopy of the child's birth certificate
  3. A written consent from both parents or from the single parent or legal guardian allowing the minor to travel to a foreign country with a specified person other than themselves (parents residing in Germany can book an appointment at the Embassy to obtain a declaration consularized sworn authority that grants permission for the minor to travel alone).
  4. If applicable, photocopy of the marriage certificate of the parents of the minor or certificate of legal guardianship of the minor or in the case of single parents, identity card of the father only from the Municipal Directorate of Social Welfare and Development or certification from the Social Directorate Municipal. Welfare and Development Office of being a single parent or a court decree of separation, annulment or divorce, or a Tallaq or Fasakh certification from the Shariah court or any Muslim barangay or religious leader or in the case of an illegitimate minor, a certificate of non-marriage (CENOMAR) *from the National Statistics Office or in the case of deceased father, photocopy of the death certificate
  5. Two color passport photos of the minor taken in the last 6 months.
  6. Photocopy of the travel companion's passport
  7. For minor illegitimate children traveling abroad with the biological father, a travel authorization certificate is required, as parental authority rests solely with the mother of the child, according to Article 176 of the Philippine Family Code.


For Filipino minors traveling alone/unaccompanied:

  • Certificate of unaccompanied minor from the airlines
  • Parental waiver releasing DSWD-NCR from any obligation/liability in the event of an adverse incident during the child's trip.
  • If the minor will visit a relative abroad, include a letter of invitation/support and guarantee from the inviter/sponsor with an attached copy of their passport and visa.


For Filipino minors who will attend conferences, study tours, competitions, student exchange programs, summer camps, pilgrimages, world youth days and other related activities:

  • Certificate of participation with list of participants from the school or local organization with letterhead and signature of the chief official.
  • Signed invitation from the sponsoring agency/organization abroad with travel itinerary.
  • Affidavit of commitment signed by the travel companion indicating the security measures adopted by the sports agency (for sports competition).

For the abandoned minor with the presumed missing father, if the parents are married, the following will be required:

  • Social Case Study Report executed by a licensed social worker from the Local Government Unit (LGU).
  • Barangay Certification of non-existence of the alleged missing father of his last known address. (Indicate the complete date the missing alleged father was last seen)
  • Notarized affidavit from three (3) disinterested persons/someone not related by blood to the minor's family who can attest/certify the abandonment of either parent. (Attach valid ID of the declarants)

For Filipino minors studying abroad:

  • Acceptance or Certificate of Enrollment/Enrollment from the school where the minor will be enrolled.

For Filipino minors immigrating to another country:

  • Visa Petition Approval

For Filipino minors traveling abroad for medical reasons:

  • Medical extract of the minor.
  • Recommendation of the treating physician that said medical procedure is not available in the country.

For Filipino minors going abroad for international adoption:

  • Placement Authorization issued by the ICAB
  • Authorization for Escort issued by the ICAB

For Filipino minors in foster care:

  • Notarized affidavit of commitment by the foster parents indicating the purpose of the trip, the destination, the duration of the trip, and a provision that establishes the commitment of the foster parent regarding the personal appearance of the child and the foster parent before the Regional Director or his duly authorized representative. representative, within 5 days of returning to the country.
  • Notarized affidavit of consent from the Regional Director or authorized representative.
  • Temporary Placement Authority (Original and Photocopy)
  • Temporary Care License (Original and Photocopy)
  • DSWD Certification of Child Declaring Legally Available for Adoption (CDCLAA), except those in kinship care where the parents did not relinquish the child for adoption.
  • return tickets

For Filipino minors under legal guardianship:

  • Certified true copy of the court order on legal guardianship

For Filipino minors who are the subject of an ongoing adoption case:

  • No adoptee will be issued a travel authorization unless the court issues an adoption decree and a certificate of finality. In addition, no minor who has been issued a Pre-Adoption Placement Authority (PAPA) will be issued a travel authorization unless acourt orderis issued allowing the minor to travel with the prospective adoptive parent.

NOTE: Other documentary requirements may be required depending on the reason for the trip and based on the evaluation of the social worker.


A DSWD travel authorization is valid for a period of one (1) year from the date of issuance and will be valid for multiple trips within the validity period, provided that the conditions under which the travel authorization was issued have not changed. If a change of status occurs such as a change of travel companion, a new travel authorization must be obtained.


The travel authorization application must be submitted/manually submitted by the parent/legal guardian or a duly authorized representative to the DSWD field office having jurisdiction over the minor's residence.

Service hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday (except holidays)


The Travel Authorization Certificate can be obtained within three (3) business days of submitting the required documents.

A fee of Php 300.00 per child with one (1) year of validity

A fee of Php 600.00 per child with two (2) years of validity

NOTE: In case of loss of the issued travel authorization, a new set of requirements must be submitted to the field office and a new travel authorization will be issued. This should not be taken as a renewal of the travel authorization, but as a new application.


Series A.O No. 12 of 2017, also known as "Omnibus Guidelines for Minors Traveling Abroad"

For further inquiries, please contact theDSWD.

Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Tuan Roob DDS

Last Updated: 06/24/2023

Views: 5465

Rating: 4.1 / 5 (62 voted)

Reviews: 85% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Tuan Roob DDS

Birthday: 1999-11-20

Address: Suite 592 642 Pfannerstill Island, South Keila, LA 74970-3076

Phone: +9617721773649

Job: Marketing Producer

Hobby: Skydiving, Flag Football, Knitting, Running, Lego building, Hunting, Juggling

Introduction: My name is Tuan Roob DDS, I am a friendly, good, energetic, faithful, fantastic, gentle, enchanting person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.